RPD confirms search for Johnson ongoing

[anvplayer video=”5153092″ station=”998128″]

(ABC 6 News) – Rochester police confirmed Wednesday, Dec. 21, that suspect Jesse James Johnson is still at large after an officer-involved shooting incident one week ago.

RELATED: Deputy who discharged weapon in Rochester use of force incident last week identified – ABC 6 News – kaaltv.com

(ABC 6 News) – Rochester police released the name of a suspect involved in a use-of-deadly-force incident Wednesday night.

According to the Rochester Police Department, Jesse James Johnson, 38, was located around 4:50 p.m. in the 1000 block of 15th Avenue SE Wednesday, Dec. 14.

RELATED: UPDATE: More information to come in Olmsted County shooting incident – ABC 6 News – kaaltv.com

Johnson is allegedly known to carry firearms on his person, and had an arrest warrant for 2nd-degree assault with a dangerous weapon — a firearm.

According to RPD, as deputies approached Johnson in the parking lot, he entered a silver 2008 Pontiac G6 with MN license number BKT665.

Local law enforcement said Johnson rammed two law enforcement vehicles while fleeing, and a deputy shot at Johnson’s vehicle.

Johnson fled the area. It is unknown whether he was injured.

ABC 6 News has inquired with Olmsted County law enforcement about the status of the deputy who fired the weapon.

No sheriff’s deputies were injured Wednesday night.

According to RPD, Johnson is about 5’8″ tall and weighs about 215 pounds. He was last seen driving the Pontiac G6.

Capt. Casey Moilanen said Thursday morning that there is still no danger to the public, as long as witnesses do not involve themselves in any confrontations where the suspect may flee law enforcement going forward.

Moilanen asked residents to “be a good witness” if they see something unusual related to the case by trying to remember or writing down details of what they saw and calling Olmsted County dispatch (507-328-6800) or the Crime Stoppers tip line (800) 222-8477).

Olmsted County law enforcement urged Johnson to turn himself in, and asked that witnesses who know his location call 9-1-1 and report him.

RPD also said that the sheriff’s office requested RPD investigate the use of deadly force by the deputy, which they say is standard procedure following a shooting.