Mason City man dies in apartment fire

(ABC 6 News) – The Mason City Fire Department announced Thursday that a 78-year-old man caught in an apartment fire died from his injuries this week.

At about 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, firefighters responded to a fire alarm at The Manor, located at 4 3rd St. NW, Mason City.

The MCFD reported that the fire was located in apt. 549, the home of Ronald Smith.

The sprinkler system had extinguished the fire, but smoke was still visible. First responders determined that the fire was accidental, caused by smoking materials.

Smith was transported to Mercy One hospital, but died from his injuries.

Five other residents of the building were displaced from their homes for one night, according to the MCFD.