Mankato standoff ends peacefully; missing man, son reported safe

[anvplayer video=”5173479″ station=”998128″]

(ABC 6 News) – An incident at a Mankato apartment building that began on Tuesday afternoon has been peacefully and safely resolved, according to the Mankato Department of Public Safety.

Mankato Department of Public Safety said in their Thursday afternoon news release that Walter and Koran Brown are safe and have been taken to a local hospital for further evaluation.

In a news release sent out at 1:35 p.m. Thursday, the Mankato Department of Public Safety said the incident began at approximately 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, when officers attempted to apprehend a suspect related to an on-going investigation into the welfare of 29-year-old Walter Brown and his 2-year-old son, Koran Brown who were both reported missing on April 5.

A city news release mentions that Brown got into an “altercation” with the child’s mother.

RELATED: Help needed finding missing Mankato toddler, father

Mankato Department of Public Safety said a suspect fled on foot, and during the pursuit fired a gun in the direction of the pursuing officer whom was not injured. The suspect then ran into an apartment building in the area of Hilltop Lane.

RELATED: Shots fired, chase leads to standoff with Mankato police

Since then, Brown, 29, was charged in Blue Earth County Court with violating an order of protection and refusing to return a child of whom he didn’t have custody, based on court documents filed on April 4.

Investigators tracked Brown’s cell phone in late March to a Tennessee airport, according to records.

Back on Tuesday evening, Mankato police say they were trying to apprehend a suspect in the case, who ran away from an officer and allegedly fired a gun at a pursuing officer at the apartment complex.

The officer was not injured.

Any charges related to this incident are pending as the Mankato Department of Public Safety continues its investigation of the case.

No other information was provided.