Rochester house fires attributed to Christmas tree, appliance malfunction

[anvplayer video=”5154625″ station=”998128″]

(ABC 6 News) – The Rochester Fire Department learned that two house fires Thursday and Friday were caused by a home equipment failure and a Christmas tree, respectively.

Rochester Fire captain Caleb Feine said a Dec. 22 house fire in the 1000 block of Chippewa Dr. NW was caused by a “home equipment” failure, likely an appliance fire.

RELATED: RFD responds to NW Rochester house fire Thursday – ABC 6 News –

Another house fire Dec. 23, in the 5000 block of Connemara Dr. NE, began when the owners’ Christmas tree ignited, Feine said.

RELATED: Firefighters battle house fire in NE Rochester Thursday – ABC 6 News –

While the homeowners saw the fire begin at the Christmas tree, RFD was not certain Monday whether the tree caught on fire because of electrical issues or another source of flame.

RELATED: Fire crews respond to garage fire in NW Rochester – ABC 6 News –

“The basics in firefighting comes down to the fire tetrahedron which is heat, fuel, oxygen and then a chemical chain reaction. When you think of oxygen those intense significant winds just continue to fuel the fire by adding oxygen and making it burn hotter and faster. So controlling that flow path lessening that induction of air and having that coordinated effort, coordinated attack between the fire attack crew putting water on the fire and the ventilation crew is extremely important in putting these fires out safely and efficiently,” said Captain Caleb Feine.

A northwest Rochester garage fire Friday afternoon is still under investigation, after use of water to fight the flames resulted in a “giant ice block” in the garage where the fire likely began.