Festivities for the 27th annual Med City Marathon kicked off Friday
(ABC 6 News) – Festivities for the 27th annual Med City Marathon kicked off at the Mayo Civic Center on Friday.
Runners were able to pick up their packets for races at the Med City Marathon & 5K kicks of with Health & Wellness Expo
RELATED: 27th annual Med City Marathon & 5K kicks of with Health & Wellness Expo
Many also took part in the Altra Federal Credit Union 5K walk or run event with proceeds going towards the Ronald McDonald House.
Over a thousand runners are registered to participate.
Weekend events include: Boston Qualifier/USATF certified Marathon, Marathon Relay (2 or 4 person teams), Gillette Pepsi Rochester Half Marathon, Altra 5K, Kids Race, and the Med City Health & Wellness Expo.
Race officials don’t seem too concerned about the weather for Saturday’s races.
“The weather temperatures are looking really good which is great, so we’re keeping an eye on it. The main thing is lightning. We do have postponement policies if we need to that, and that’s definitely something we could do if need be,” Race director Evin Haukos said.
Here is a full list of the events on SATURDAY, MAY 13:
- 5:20am | Race Shuttles to start line begin from Downtown Rochester pickup locations
- 5:30am | Race Day Packet Pick Up opens @ start line | Rochester International Airport
- 7:00am | Full Marathon, Relay, and Half Marathon Race Start
- 7:15am | 20 Mile race start (see 20 Mile info)
- 9:00am | Finish line fest for racers, live music, hydration by Gillette Pepsi of Rochester, and free beer to 21+ racers, family friendly
- 9:00am | Live music from Soul Train starts at Finish Line Festival
- 1:00pm | Race festivities conclude / race course closes
The Med City Marathon and 5K will have the following impacts from May 12 – 13, 2023:
- Civic Center Drive will be closed from East Center Street to 2 Street SE
- 1 Street SE will be closed from Civic Center Drive to 1 Avenue SE
- Northbound traffic on 3 Avenue SE will be required to turn left onto westbound 2 Street SE
- Eastbound traffic on 2 Street SE will be required to turn right onto southbound 3 Avenue SE
Traffic control officers will coordinate crossings in other locations as necessary.
Visit the City of Rochester’s Interactive Construction Impact Map to view other travel impacts related to construction projects.
For more information on the Med City Marathon, visit HERE.