Wasioja fire leaves house likely a total loss

Home fire in Wasioja

The latest local, regional and national news events of the day are presented by the ABC 6 News Team, along with updated sports, weather and traffic.

(ABC 6 News) – Not a lot happens in a small town like Wasioja, but a Tuesday morning fire woke up the neighborhood.

Terri Lepp, who lives with her daughter just a couple houses down the road, witnessed the fire. “It went on for quite a while.”

They were surprised at how big it was, and how many people were needed to put the fire out.

“[My daughter] had the scanner on,” Lepp said. “We just heard them calling from all the little towns from around us.”

Dodge Center, Mantorville and West Concord Fire Departments all showed up.

Another nearby resident who did not want to go on camera said the family had just done some renovations to the home. “That stinks because they just put a sound system in and redid the inside.”

It took more than four hours for crews to put out the fire. Fire crews think the blaze may have started in the chimney.

Although some household items survived the fire, the house is inhabitable, likely to be determined a total loss.

One homeowner was treated for smoke inhalation, but all humans and animals inside got out.

The State Fire Marshall’s Office is investigating.