“Fire Won’t Wait. Plan Your Escape.” RFD hosts open house as part of Fire Prevention week
(ABC 6 News ) – For the last 100 years fire crews across the U.S. mark this week as Fire Prevention Week and hold events to get to know their communities all while assisting them to be just that much safer.
Tuesday, the Rochester Fire department held open houses at all five of its stations.
Anyone who wanted could go check out the equipment and talk with the crews. This year’s theme is ‘Fire won’t wait -Plan your escape.’
“Fires are unpredictable. We can never predict when they are going to happen or what is going to cause it, but make sure your home is safe, that you have a working smoke alarm and that you have those escape plans,” said Firefighter Mandee Marx.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household.
- Get out of the home, and stay out, before calling 911.
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities
Fire departments in Rochester, Stewartville, and Austin are all holding open house events Wednesday. The Rochester Fire department is also hosting another event on Saturday.