Red Cross seeking blood donations
(ABC 6 News) – The American Red Cross is asking blood donors of all types to consider donating to help keep the blood supply from dropping ahead the upcoming holiday season.
The Red Cross says all blood types are needed, especially those with type O blood. Type O is routinely in short supply and in high demand by hospitals – both because it is the most common blood type and because type O negative blood is the universal blood type needed for emergency transfusions and for immune deficient infants.
Donating blood can help save the lives of up to 3 people. Eligible 16-year-olds can donate blood in Minnesota. Donors must have the consent of a parent or guardian and weigh at least 110 pounds.
There are two donation sites in Rochester: To schedule an appointment, call the Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Program at 507-284-4475.
- Mayo Clinic, Hilton Building (First Floor): 210 2nd St. SW
- May Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus – Joseph Building (Main Floor, Room M-86), 1216 2nd St. SW
The Red Cross has mobile/community blood drives scheduled in November throughout southeast Minnesota. Dates and times are subject to change.
- Hayfield: Nov. 11 (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) – Hayfield High School
- Harmony: Nov. 3 (9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.) – Fillmore Central High School
- Rushford: Nov. 4 (8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) – Rushford Peterson High School
- Albert Lea: Nov. 3 (12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) – Bridge Community Church
- Emmons: Nov. 11 (11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) – Emmons Lutheran Church
- Austin: Nov. 1 (9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) – Riverland Community College
- Austin: Nov. 3 (12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) – Our Saviors Lutheran Church
To view more locations and dates from around Minnesota, CLICK HERE: