Over-used extension cord the cause of a NE Rochester house fire Monday

[anvplayer video=”5145389″ station=”998128″ no_pr=”true”]

(ABC 6 News) – A home in northeast Rochester had a close call Monday morning after an extension cord caused a small fire.

The Rochester Fire Department (RFD) was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 807 13th Ave. NE at approximately 9:45 a.m.

A neighbor reported smoke and flames coming out of a window on the side of the house.

RFD said the cause of the fire was an over-used extension cord. The homeowners had heat tape, a common device used to prevent ice buildup, plugged into a small extension cord that ultimately overheated.

RFD wants to remind people that extension cords should only be used temporarily for such things that don’t need a lot of power.

ABC 6 News will provide additional details when they become available.