Law enforcement to administer week long ‘Click It or Ticket’ campaign on Minnesota roads
(ABC 6 News) – Minnesota State Patrol troopers, deputies and police officers will be participating in a week long “Click It or Ticket” campaign.
The statewide seat belt campaign will be from Sunday, September 18 through Saturday, September 24.
The campaign will include extra patrols and advertising across Minnesota in support of the Toward Zero Deaths traffic safety program.
So far this year, there have been 310 traffic fatalities in Minnesota.
Unbelted motorists contributed to a significant rise in traffic fatalities over the past two years. There are signs of improvement so far this year. Through September 11;
- 53 unbelted fatalities compared with 72 last year at this time, 66 in 2020 and 48 in 2019.
- Preliminary counts show 110 unbelted motorists died on Minnesota roads in 2021 compared with 105 in 2020 and 73 in 2019.
- The 110 unbelted deaths last year is the highest number since 2014.
- 77% of unbelted fatalities in 2021 occurred in greater Minnesota.
According to the 2021 Observational Seat Belt Survey, the seat belt compliance rate was measured at 92.4%, down 1.0% from 2019. Other results;
- 95% of observed female front seat occupants wore seatbelts in both 2019 and 2021.
- Male front seat occupants seat belt usage rate DECLINED 1.8% (90.2%) from 2019 and 2021.
- Pickup truck occupants have the LOWEST seat belt rate usage among vehicle types at 85.2%.
- Passengers are MORE likely to wear seat belts than drivers, a 3.6% difference.
- Young adults (ages 16-29) are the LEAST likely to wear seat belts, 91.2%, the only age group below the overall average.
For additional resources, CLICK HERE.