Gov. Walz issues extradition warrant for 2007 shooting suspect arrested in Florida
(ABC 6 News) – Governor Tim Walz announced Wednesday that he issued a warrant for the interstate extradition of shooting suspect Tajiddin Akbar, at the request of Ramsey County Attorney John Choi.
Akbar, 34, who is accused of participating in a 2007 drive-by shooting in St. Paul, was apprehended in Florida last week and is now being held in Broward County, Florida.
In 2007, Lionell Thomas and Lamont Wilson pleaded guilty to the murder of Robert Renville and the attempted murder of two other men in a drive-by shooting after a drug deal went wrong.
The third defendant, Tajiddin Akbar, was never caught and never faced trial.
Akbar is currently being held in Florida on several charges, including first-degree murder, robbery with a firearm, aggravated battery, and assault.
Authorities in Minnesota and Florida will work together to extradite the suspect.
The Governor’s office said the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office sent the formal request for interstate extradition on August 10.
“There is no timeline on accountability,” said Governor Walz. “Anyone who threatens the safety of Minnesotans will be held accountable. I am grateful to our law enforcement partners in Ramsey County and Florida for apprehending the suspect and working quickly to make sure he faces justice in Minnesota.”