COVID-19 bivalent vaccine boosters now available to Olmsted Co. residents
(ABC 6 News) – Olmsted County residents looking to get a COVID-19 bivalent vaccine booster can now get one.
The updated bivalent vaccines include components of the original virus strain and the Omicron variant giving people broad protection against COVID-19.
On August 31, 2022, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an emergency use authorization for bivalent formulations of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines for use as a single booster dose at least two months after completing primary or booster vaccination.
Pfizer and Moderna bivalent boosters can be administered regardless of what type of primary series or booster someone may have gotten in the past. The main considerations are as follows:
- People ages 12+ can receive the Pfizer bivalent booster.
- People ages 18+ can receive the Moderna bivalent booster.
- Timing must be 2 months after the primary series or most recent monovalent booster.
The following Olmsted County medical providers are announcing plans for distribution of these new COVID-19 boosters.
Olmsted County Public Health Services
OCPHS will hold vaccination clinics on Saturday, September 17. The clinic is limited to 600 slots, so registration is required.
- Clinic passcode: New1
- Vaccination location: 2100 Campus Dr. SE Rochester, MN 55904 (Olmsted County Public Health Department)
A registration link is available HERE. The Pfizer vaccine will be available at this clinic
COVID-19 booster vaccinations for area patients can be scheduled at:
- 41st Street Center Professional Building in Rochester on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mayo Family Clinic in Kasson on Thursdays, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Patients can use Patient Online Services or call their local primary care appointment office to schedule an appointment.
Olmsted Medical Center (OMC)
OMC will be offering three Saturday COVID-19 booster clinics at the Rochester Northwest clinic at 5067 55th Street NW in Rochester.
The vaccine provided at these clinics will be the latest version from Pfizer which offers protection against the newest omicron versions, called BA.4 and BA.5. This updated COVID-19 booster is for patients who have completed the primary series. Appointments are required; there are no walk-in vaccination appointments.
Dates and times of the booster clinics
- September 17, 2022 – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- September 24, 2022 – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- October 1, 2022 – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
How to schedule a vaccination appointment
- Call 507-292-7300.
- Schedule an appointment using OMC MyChart.
- Patients ages 12+ and who have completed primary COVID-19 vaccine series.
Many pharmacies are also providing the COVID-19 bivalent vaccine boosters. To can find a location on the MDH Vaccine Finder, CLICK HERE.