City of Rochester services shifting to virtual, closures
(ABC 6 News) – City of Rochester office-based services will shift to virtual methods due to the dangerous weather conditions forecasted by the National Weather Service for Thursday, December 22 through Saturday, December 24.
Teammates working virtually will maintain office-based services during the normal business hours of 8 am – 5 pm on Thursday and Friday. Community members can still access city services via phones and the city website.
Administrator Alison Zelms shares, “The safety of the public and City teammates is our top priority. Shifting our office-based services to the virtual tools we have available allows city teammates and Rochester residents to avoid traveling in the dangerous blizzard conditions predicted. Furthermore, the reduction in traffic will lessen the burden on our critical teammates in Police, Fire and Public Works who will keep roads passable for emergency response and essential travel.”
The following buildings will be closed to in-person public services Thursday and Friday:
• City Hall
• Development Services & Infrastructure Center
• Public Works Transit & Operations Center
• Traffic and Operations Building
Rochester Police Department:
• The Records window at the Government Center will remain open Thursday and Friday.
• The Records window at the North Station will be closed Thursday and Friday.
Rochester Public Library:
• Closed Thursday and Friday
• The Bookmobile will not be operating Thursday or Friday
Rochester Public Transit (RPT):
• RPT is offering the “Warm Place to Be” program all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. With this program, persons caught outside in a dangerous situation can simply notify an RPT driver that they need to escape the cold and warm up; no fare will be charged to board the bus.
• Transit users are encouraged to use the DoubleMap app for real-time bus information. This tool can help prevent prolonged waits outside in the cold.
• RPT will use its regular channels to communicate any service interruptions including detours or the suspension of service. Customers should monitor the RPT website, social media, alerts on DoubleMap mobile app, and local media.
Rochester Public Utilities (RPU):
• The RPU lobby will remain open on Thursday and Friday. Customers are encouraged to use the phone or virtual tools to conduct their business prior to visiting the front desk in-person.
Parks & Recreation
• All AccessABLE Rec activities for Thursday, December 22 are canceled
• Recreation Center – Closing at 3:30pm Thursday and all day Friday
• Graham Arena – Closed all day Thursday and Friday
• National Volleyball Center – Closed all day Thursday and Friday
• Pipsqueaks Indoor Playground – Closed all day Thursday and Friday
• Seasonal Parking Requirements are in effect from 2 am to 3 pm every day November 1 to April 1
o Thursday, December 22 park on the even side of the street
o Friday, December 23 park on the odd side of the street
o Saturday, December 24 park on the even side of the street