Suspected gas leak causes shed fire in Oronoco

(ABC 6 News) – At around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 8, the Pine Island Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the 4400 block of 85 Street Northwest in Oronoco.

When crews arrived on the scene, emergency responders found heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of a shed.

According to PIFD, the homeowner reported he was working in the shed when he said he smelled smoke.

The homeowner then investigated and found smoke coming from the corner of the shed outside of the building.

He used fire extinguishers to slow the flames until emergency responders arrived.

Firefighters then knocked down the fire and stop the flames from spreading beyond the corner and attic space of the shed, according to a report from PIFD.

Fire crews stayed on the scene and helped remove destroyed property.

PIFD estimated damages of around $10,000.

Investigators believe a gas leak caused the fire.