Rochester man accused of assault, smashing phone
(ABC 6 News) – Rochester police took a man into custody following an altercation Friday.
James Robert Conway Jr., 38, was charged Monday, Jan. 29, with felon in possession of a firearm; 2nd-degree assault with a dangerous weapon; 5th-degree assault; and damage to property–value reduced over $1,000.
At about 7:55 p.m. Jan 26, police responded to an apartment complex in the 300 block of 31st St. NE
Capt. Casey Moilanen said a 26-year-old woman had been at a friend’s apartment with family, when a man came in and told the woman to leave — aggressively, she told police.
The 26-year-old claimed the man, Conway Jr., waved a handgun around, and threw the woman’s phone at a wall when she began filming him.
The woman told police the man grabbed her wrist and neck, and pushed her onto the couch, according to Moilanen.
Police filed a search warrant and allegedly found a .22 caliber handgun and a 9mm handgun in the apartment.
Moilanen said the .22 caliber handgun had been stolen from a Rochester location.
Mayo Clinic Ambulance checked and medically cleared the woman with minor injuries, Moilanen said.
Conway, Jr. has previously been convicted of domestic assault dating to December of 2021, 5th-degree assaults dated to November and December of 2019, disorderly conduct from November of 2018, and 3rd-degree assault–bodily harm from August of 2017.
Conway, Jr.’s next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 6.