One person sent to hospital after Sunday house fire

(ABC 6 News) – The Rochester Fire Department (RFD) responded to a house fire at Rocky Creek Estates in northeast Rochester Sunday morning.

RFD said fire fighters arrived on the scene just after 9:30 a.m. to find smoke coming from the front door with no visible flames. RFD found a small fire in the laundry room.

According to RFD, the cause of the fire was oily rags and dirty laundry. A small portion of the floor was damaged along with minor smoke damage to the interior of the home. Damage is estimated to be $1,000.

One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

RFD said the best way to prevent these types of fires is to never leave oily rags in a pile and instead to take them outside and away from buildings to dry, and then place them in a container with water and detergent solutions.

Linseed oil, varnishes, polyurethane, and paint thinners are common products used for home improvement that can produce flammable vapors.

Mayo Clinic Ambulance and the Rochester Police Department assisted at the scene.