No people hurt, 4 pets die in Albert Lea house fire

(ABC 6 News) – A house fire in Albert Lea on Monday evening is to blame for the loss of four family pets.

According to Albert Lea Fire Rescue, crews were dispatched to a house fire in the 200 block of Giles Place around 6:00 p.m. Upon arrival, crews found the occupants of the home outside with smoking coming from the west side of the house.

The occupants said they had returned home, after being away for about 4 hours, to find thick black smoke coming from the home. One dog was retrieved, however two other dogs and one cat remained in the home. Fire crews entered the home to extinguish the fire and located the remaining pets. Despite firefighters and a homeowner attempting resuscitation of two dogs, they were unsuccessful as all four pets died from smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

Fire crews remained on scene for about 2 hours. The fire was contained to the kitchen area with extensive smoke damage throughout the home.

Preliminary findings by Albert Lea Fire Rescue point to batteries charging in the kitchen area as the cause of the fire. The batteries failed during charging and started on fire.

The Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office will assist with the investigation. Damages are estimated at $50,000.

Mayo Clinic Ambulance Service and the Albert Lea Police Department also responded.