Rochester police report multiple overdoses first weekend in August
(ABC 6 News) – Rochester police reported four overdose calls with five victims between Friday and Sunday of the first weekend in August.
The details are as follows:
- At about 7:41 p.m. Friday, Aug. 5, officers responded to the 10 block of 11th Avenue NE for a 31-year-old man who had overdosed and was unresponsive. Officers administered Narcan, an emergency medical treatment for overdose, and the man became responsive. He was taken to the hospital via ambulance.
- At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 6, a police officer conducted a traffic stop at Kwik Trip on 41st Street NW after seeing an individual with a warrant for his arrest get into a car. The officer knew the man’s license had been revoked. When the officer pulled the vehicle over at an apartment complex on 41st Street NW, he saw two men in the back seat who appeared to have overdosed. The driver, a 22-year-old Rochester man, was arrested on one warrant. A 20-year-old man who overdosed received Narcan, became responsive, and was arrested on his own warrant. A 20-year-old man from Mankato who overdosed did not require Narcan, after officers used other techniques to wake him up. Neither subject was taken to a hospital for treatment. Officers also arrested a third passenger, a 21-year-old man from Rochester, who had a warrant for his own arrest.
- At about 4:08 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 6, officers responded to a woman who told them her son had overdosed in the 700 block of Neville Court SE. The 36-year-old man, who lived at that address, was given Narcan, became responsive, and was taken to the hospital via ambulance.
- At about 7:37 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 7, police responded to an overdose call in the 1200 block of Eastgate Drive SE. A 22-year-old man received Narcan, became responsive, and was taken to St. Marys via ambulance.
Rochester police captain Casey Moilanen said it was unusual for the officers to have so many overdose calls in a single weekend.