Hy-Vee now offering COVID-19 Booster
(ABC 6 News) -Hy-Vee announced Friday that free Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 booster doses are now available at Hy-Vee’s more than 275 Hy-Vee Pharmacy locations across its eight-state region.
The new booster, recently approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is recommended for the following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipients at least six months after their second vaccine dose:
- Long-term care facility residents
- Individuals ages 65+
- Individuals ages 18+ with underlying medical conditions, (as outlined by the CDC)
- Individuals ages 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting
At this time, Moderna vaccine recipients will NOT be administered COVID-19 booster doses, and Janssen (J&J) vaccine recipients will NOT be administered additional COVID-19 vaccine doses, until authorized by the FDA and CDC.
It is strongly recommended that individuals schedule their COVID-19 vaccination in advance by visiting www.hy-vee.com/covidvaccine.
The booster vaccines are free to all eligible patients, regardless of their insurance coverage.
According to the CDC, it is strongly recommended that individuals receive the same vaccine manufacturer as their previous dose(s). At this time, there is not a booster dose authorized for Moderna vaccine recipients, nor is there an additional vaccine dose authorized for Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine recipients.
Booster Dose vs. Third Dose
While both the Pfizer-BioNTech booster dose and third dose contain the equivalent amount of vaccine, there are some key differences between the Pfizer-BioNTech booster and the third dose, which was authorized in August 2021:
– Recommended at least 6 months after second dose
– Eligible populations:
– Long-term care facility residents
– Individuals ages 65+
– Individuals ages 18+ with underlying medical conditions (as outlined by the CDC)
– Individuals ages 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting
– Recommended at least 28 days after second dose
– Eligible populations:
– Ages 12+ who are moderately to severely immunocompromised individuals (as outlined by the CDC)
*According to the CDC, individuals who received a third dose of Pfizer-BioNTech, should NOT receive a booster dose at this time.