Booster doses available for 18+ in Olmsted County
(ABC 6 News) – Booster doses for all adults 18 and older have been endorsed by the CDC and are now available at locations in Olmsted County.
The following information is provided by providers in Olmsted County.
As stated on the CDC’s website, it’s appropriate to get a booster:
- At least six months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (if you received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines).
- At least two months after receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Any of the COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the CDC can be used for the booster dose.
Why is a COVID-19 booster shot needed?
Although COVID-19 vaccination for older adults remains effective in preventing severe disease, the CDC says recent data suggests vaccination is less effective at preventing infection or milder illness with symptoms over time.
- Emerging evidence also shows that among health care and other frontline workers, vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 infection is also decreasing over time.
- This lower effectiveness is likely due to the combination of decreasing protection as time passes since getting vaccinated, as well as the greater infectiousness of the Delta variant.
Data from clinical trials show that vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 infection is waning after the primary series, but protection remains high against severe disease and hospitalization.
Local booster availability
Olmsted County Public Health Services (OCPHS), Mayo Clinic, and Olmsted Medical Center (OMC) all follow guidance from the CDC related to COVID-19 vaccinations including booster shots.
Olmsted County Public Health Services
When clinics get scheduled, OCPHS will be contacting individuals originally vaccinated by OCPHS based on their eligibility. OCPHS will providing instructions on how to get their vaccine booster.
OCPHS recommends everyone older than 18 receive their booster as soon as the individual is able. They can contact their provider or find vaccine booster availability on the MDH Vaccine Finder website.
Eligible patients can use Patient Online Services or call their local clinic to schedule a COVID-19 booster vaccination:
- For Rochester, call 507-538-4040.
- Outside of Rochester, visit the Mayo Clinic Health System in Southeast Minnesota website.
Olmsted Medical Center
Call 507-292-7300 to schedule an appointment for the COVID-19 booster shot.
Many pharmacies are also providing COVID-19 vaccine boosters. You can find a location on the MDH Vaccine Finder website.