Owatonna Police investigating firearms complaint, suspect in custody

[anvplayer video=”5192943″ station=”998128″]

(ABC 6 News) – Owatonna Police responded to a firearms complaint at 1:50 a.m. the 100 block of 22 St Northwest, eventually arresting one man around six hours later.

Owatonna Police Capt. Josh Sorensen says after arriving at Summit Manor Apartments, officers contacted local SWAT teams, Owatonna Fire Department, Mayo Ambulance and Steele County Sheriff’s Office.

According to Sorensen, officers evacuated residents around 2:30 a.m.

“It was just a very strange situation to wake up to. It’s very unusual to have every Owatonna police officer on our street. It’s a quiet neighborhood, firearms aren’t regularly brandished around here,” said Steven Howard, a neighbor living near the apartment building. “What I saw this morning was the apartment building was being ventilated by the Owatonna Fire Dept. after they used some type of tear gas substance from what neighbors told me.”

The SWAT team used tear gas inside the building. The unnamed suspect was eventually peacefully brought into custody just before 8:15 a.m.

Residents in the Summit Manor Apartments were allowed back inside the building around 9 a.m., according to Capt. Sorensen.

No injuries were reported.


[anvplayer video=”5192906″ station=”998128″]

(ABC 6 News) -The Owatonna Police Department (OPD) was called onto the 100 block of 22 St Northwest Wednesday morning.

Working in conjunction with regional SWAT teams, police reported the scene to be contained to an apartment with precautionary measures taken to the immediate area.

About two hours after an initial public announcement, police had taken a suspect into custody for a firearms complaint.

OPD has determined the area safe for the public, reopening a portion of 22 Street Northwest.

ABC 6 News on the scene spoke with neighbors in the area who said around 6:00 a.m. a resident inside an apartment building was firing shots off of his balcony. That is when they called police.

Another neighbor on the scene told ABC 6 News that he lives in one of the surrounding houses and that the neighborhood is an extremely quiet area and that they have never seen such a large police presence.

Officers remain on the scene as investigations continue.

ABC 6 News will provide additional information when it becomes available.