After an Austin family lost their house in a fire a family member is trying to raise money to help

(ABC 6 News)- Just days after a family in Austin lost their house to a fire, the community is joining together to help after a family member set up a GoFundMe page.

Shortly before the fire Jose Laureano and his family had just moved back into their home. The interior now damaged from the smoke and fire.

Luckily many of their possessions were moved to the garage while they worked on the house.

If you are interested in donating click the link.


(ABC 6 News) – A Thursday morning Austin house fire started when a box set atop a hot burner caught on fire, according to AFD chief Jim McCoy.

Austin firefighters received the call to the 1600 block of 4th Avenue NW at about 10:50 a.m., McCoy said.
When fire arrived, homeowner Jose Laureano and his three-year-old son were both out of the house.

The family was working on the home, McCoy added, and moved many of their belongings into the garage — so while the interior of the home is heavily smoke- and fire-damaged, many of their possessions will merely need to be cleaned up after exposure to smoke.

The home is currently uninhabitable, McCoy added.


(ABC 6 News) – A house fire in Austin Thursday morning left a family with nothing.

The family moved back into their home in Austin last week, never expecting they would lose it in a fire.

Jose Laureano and his three-year-old son were home when the fire started.

Laureano was painting the bedrooms when his son ran upstairs to tell him there was a fire. Laureano went to check, but couldn’t even make it downstairs because the flames had fully engulfed the first floor.

His only concern then was how to get his son out safely.

“From the side of my house I had to jump with him, like holding him from the window, so thank God that we’re alive right now,” said Laureano.

They were able to get out safely before the fire spread to the upstairs.

All of the belongings in the home have been destroyed.

Luckily, neither Laureano nor his son were hurt during the incident.

The family says they will have to completely start over, but they’re grateful everybody made it out safe.