Mason City HS joins new athletic league
(ABC 6 News) – Mason City High School announced Friday it will join a new athletic league beginning the 2022-23 school year.
"Eleven of Iowa’s largest high schools will begin competing in the new conference, developed to enhance competition and participation among schools with long-time rivalries."
"We are very excited about the new opportunities the IAC will provide for our students and look forward to the growth of the IAC and Mason City High School Athletics and Activities as we move toward the future,” added Tracy Johnson, Mason City High School Activities Director.
Athletic directors and administrators from the member school districts have been working over the past
several months on establishing the new conference. Positive considerations in forming the alliance include:
- More competitive equity between the member high schools
- Greater similarities among the member high schools
- Increased competition and success for greater student participation and engagement
- Increased competition and success in order to hire, support and retain coaches
- Greater flexibility in decision-making and scheduling within a smaller conference
- Maintain historic rivalries between central Iowa high schools
Next year’s schedules for the Iowa Alliance Conference will be posted at a later date. The new conference will first compete in Cross Country, Boys Golf, Girls Swimming and Volleyball starting next August