Advertisement

Residents vacate apartment building after a kitchen fire on Saturday

Residents vacate apartment building after a kitchen fire on Saturday Photo: Rochester Fire Dept..

KAAL-TV
Updated: May 23, 2020 02:56 PM
Created: May 23, 2020 02:52 PM

(ABC 6 News) -- Firefighters say they found an unattended cooking fire that caused residents to vacate an apartment building in Southeast Rochester early Saturday morning.

The Rochester Fire Department said they responded to a call for a structure fire early Saturday morning in SE Rochester. When they arrived fire crews found heavy smoke on the second floor and residents in the process of leaving the building because of the fire.

Advertisement

Crews say at the apartment unit with the fire, they discovered an unattended cooking fire that had burned itself out.   

Firefighters said they put out the fire and checked the building to make sure everyone living in the building had evacuated safely. Fire crews then ventilated the structure to remove smoke and other toxic gases to ensure that residents could reoccupy their homes. The occupants of the fire apartment were evaluated and released by medical personnel on-scene and a fire investigator was present to investigate the fire.   

Firefighters say no one was injured. 

Cooking is by far the leading cause of structure fires in Minnesota; almost half of all structure fires are due to cooking according to a 2017 report by the MN State Fire Marshall. The top three factors in cooking fires is unattended cooking, combustibles to close to cooking equipment, and cooking equipment accidently turned on.     


Copyright 2020 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement