Owner treated, released at scene of Albert Lea house fire

(ABC 6 News) – An Albert Lea homeowner was treated and released at the scene of a house fire early Monday morning.

According to Albert Lea Fire & Rescue, at approximately 5:50 a.m., fire fighters were dispatched to a house fire located at 411 Commercial St.

Upon arrival, fire crews found light smoke coming from the rear of a home. When they entered, they found and evacuated the owner, who was treated and released at the scene. No other injuries from the fire were reported.

Fire crews said the fire started in the basement, and was caused by an electrical wire that was held in place with a staple nailed too tightly to a wooden beam.

The wire had deteriorated, allowing electricity to discharge or arc and ignite the beam.

Damages are estimated at approximately $5,000.

Albert Lea Fire & Rescue were assisted at the scene by the Albert Lea Police Department and Mayo Clinic Ambulance.