Byron family loses house in July 4 fire, neighbors collect goods and donations

(ABC 6 News) – Olmsted County and Byron first responders put out a blaze at a single-family home in Byron beginning around midnight July 4.

The family escaped the home without injuries, but neighbors say the home is a loss.

The Byron fire department confirmed that the fire was started from fireworks that were thrown away in the garbage next to the house, instead of a bucket of water or receptacle far away from the building.

RELATED: RFD talks firework safety |

The call came in at about 12:06 a.m., according to the sheriff’s office, and according to reports, was well under control at about 1 a.m.

Crystal Quimby, of Byron, started a GoFundMe for the Thomason family, which has five children ages 7-18.

Quimby said donations for the family, including clothing, can be dropped off at the Tilted Tavern in Byron (403 Frontage Rd. NE) which is closed for the 4th of July, or a family friend’s home at 410 10th Ave NW Byron.