Latest on Second Arrest Made in Connection to March Homicide | KAALTV.com

Latest on Second Arrest Made in Connection to March Homicide

KAAL-TV
Updated: August 15, 2019 06:09 PM
Created: August 15, 2019 12:00 AM

(ABC 6 News) - A second man has been charged in the alleged murder of Garad Roble, who was found dead with gunshot wounds in Southeast Rochester in March of this year.

Muhidin Omar Abukar was arrested on August 14 and is charged with second-degree murder. In 2009, he was convicted of that same charge in the death of Ryan Nissalke.

Abukar’s arrest comes two months after a Rochester man, Ayub Iman, was also charged with second-degree murder in Roble’s death. 

“Because of his history, we know he’s been convicted of killing somebody in the past, we think we’ve got a very strong case,” said Olmsted County Attorney Mark Ostrem. “He was released from the department of corrections on December 31, 2018. Less than three months after his release, this event occurs.”

Roble was found in with multiple gunshot wounds in the early hours of March 5, 2019 in the middle of a road near the 2300 block of 4th St. SE in Rochester.

Using cell phone tower data and forensic analysis, law enforcement was able to pinpoint who Roble was with – and when – the night before he died.

“There’s just a lot of information underneath that helped put that information together,” Ostrem said.

Since Iman was charged in June, law enforcement and the county attorney’s office believed at least one other person was involved in Roble’s death. 

Ostrem said Abukar was a suspect from the beginning.

The break in the case against Abukar came in July, when law enforcement received information from someone who allegedly had been told by Abukar himself that he’d played a role in Roble’s death.

Ostrem said the case against both men is “very high profile” and said Abukar specifically poses a “very high risk to public safety.”

Abukar appeared in court August 15th where unconditional bail was set at $10 million with no conditional bail at this time.

Olmsted County Sheriff Kevin Torgerson said despite the two men’s arrests, the investigation is still ongoing.

“Law enforcement in Olmsted County is hopeful that the arrest of Abukar and Ayub Iman – that arrest was on June 12th this year – will bring cooperation of those in the community who still have knowledge of the Garad Roble homicide,” Torgerson said.

Both Torgerson and Ostrem said the death continues to have an impact on the local Somali community. 

“We know that the community has some very significant concerns for their safety, and we’re aware of that and working very closely with the Somali community to keep them safe,” Ostrem said.

Ostrem said for the time being, the intention is to try Iman and Abukar separately.

Abukar is being held in Goodhue County, separate from Iman, who’s held in Olmsted County.

Abukar’s next court appearance is August 27th. 
---

Previous story: 

According to court documents, 30-year-old Muhidin Omar Abukar has been arrested for his alleged involvement in the homicide of Garad Roble. The murder happened on March 5, 2019. 

Abukar's arrest is the second in connection to the Roble case. Abukar is facing possible charges of aiding an offender-second-degree murder. 

The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office said Abukar was arrested Wednesday around 2:30 p.m. He will be arraigned at 10:30 a.m. Thrusday in Olmsted County District Court. 

On June 12th, 2019, Ayub Iman was arrested and charged with second-degree murder with intent not premeditated, for the murder of Garad Roble as well. 

The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office, the Rochester Police Department and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension all assisted in the investigation of the case. 

Anyone with any information about the homicide of Garad Roble is asked to contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477. 

To keep track of crime happening in your area, Click on the Spot Crime tool.


Copyright 2021 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company