December 07, 2017 09:42 AM
(ABC 6 News) -- An 89-year-old woman made it out of a house fire Wednesday morning thanks, in part, to two sheriff's deputies.
According to Olmsted County Sheriff's Captain Scott Behrns, the woman called authorities just before 9 a.m. Wednesday, saying her kitchen cupboards were on fire.
It happened on the 8500 block of Mechanic St. NW in Genoa. When two Olmsted County deputies, Jay Clemens and John Strum, got there, they saw smoke coming from the doorway of the home and flames inside. They also saw the woman, who uses a walker, standing in her kitchen.
Deputies Clemens and Strum both grabbed their fire extinguishers and kept the fire at bay so the woman could get out of the home.
Shortly thereafter, the Pine Island Fire Department got to the scene and extinguished the fire.
Capt. Behrns said the fire likely started from a microwave.
Created: December 07, 2017 09:42 AM
Copyright 2017 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company