Created: October 15, 2019 06:45 PM
A jury has been selected for the trial of a Rochester man accused of shooting and killing a teen in January of last year.
14 people, seven men and seven women, were selected to hear the trial. Because this is the second trial in this case, there was a larger pool of potential jurors to choose from. About 50 people were called in originally due to potential media exposure from the first trial.
Alexander Weiss is accused of shooting to death 17-year-old Muhammed Rahim in January 2018 after a minor traffic accident led to a confrontation. It ended with Weiss returning to his car, getting a gun and shooting Rahim, Weiss says, in self-defense.
His last trial ended in a mistrial, after the jury deliberated for about 12 hours, telling the judge they were hopelessly deadlocked.
This time around, the jury selection process is including extensive questioning on their exposure to news media and social media surrounding the case.
The jurors who said they did have some exposure to the case were questioned on whether or not they already had an opinion on it, and if so would they be able to put that aside and look at the evidence and facts presented at this trial.
Those who said they could not were dismissed. Some of the potential jurors dismissed included a woman who strongly opposed people carrying guns and a man who had a working relationship with one of Weiss’ relatives.
Now that a jury has been selected, opening arguments will begin Wednesday morning.
Copyright 2019 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company