August 13, 2019 06:55 PM
(ABC 6 News) -- John Marshall is now the fourth RPS full-service community school.
Community schools help students get access to basic needs and expanded learning opportunities.
"Our biggest mission as educators is helping our students become academically successful and some of our students can't focus on our academics because they have to think about basic needs," said John Marshall Principal Eric Johnson.
He said that becoming a community school will help educators address that need.
Their first focus as a community school is developing a community room that provides access to essentials like food, clothing, and toiletries.
Students are encouraged to stop by the community room and pick up what they need before or after school or during passing time.
"We want them to know that those other pieces are there as well. If there is something else they need whether its school supplies, clothing, that's going to be taken care of and as we grow we are going to work to build other supports for them through our community school partnership," he said.
That could include more access to technology, expanded learning opportunities during the school day and educational activities outside of school.
But for now, the immediate priority is building up those basic resources.
"We're actively seeking donations so they are begin donated from the community, other JM students and families. Whoever wants to donate we'll take it at any time,” he said.
JM is accepting donations of the following items as they build their resource room:
• Non-perishable food items (i.e. pasta, sauce, beans, rice, cereal, peanut butter)
• Schools supplies: notebooks, pencils, pens, highlighters, graph paper, folders, backpacks
• John Marshall spirit clothing
• Winter jackets, boots, hats and mittens
• Youth (xs to plus sizes) shirts and pants (not jeans)
• Shoes (tennis, casual)
• Unworn socks and undergarments
**All clothing should be in very good to new condition. Please, no hangers. Can be bagged or boxed.**
How to donate:
• Families – during Schedule Pickup on August 15th or 16th. Bins will be set-up for collection.
• The week before school (August 26 - 30). Bins will be set up inside the Main Entrance at JM.
• Anytime during the school year by contacting JM's Full-Service Community Coordinator Erin Vasquez at (507) 328-5292 or via email: email@example.com
Created: August 13, 2019 06:55 PM
Copyright 2019 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company