February 13, 2019 05:41 PM
(ABC 6 News) - Just last week authorities received their first major break in a missing person case from the 1970s involving a Hayfield High School graduate.
Wednesday, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Rieken family, of southern Minnesota, held a press conference announcing a breakthrough in the missing person case of Gloria Rieken.
According to authorities, in early November 1970, 18-year-old Gloria left her Minneapolis apartment and was heading to the University of Minnesota campus, where she was attending school, but never arrived.
On November 9, 1970 a fire broke out in an abandoned home in Mille Lacs County and according to authorities, the next day a neighbor discovered human remains inside the home.
At that time, authorities said the medical examiner was able to determine the person was a woman and that the fire did not kill her, however, her identity and the cause of death could not be determined.
In 2013 Gloria's family members contacted the BCA to give DNA samples so authorities could begin searching through unidentified remains.
Authorities said in 2018 the body of the unidentified woman found in the Mille Lacs home were exhumed and last week two DNA samples were confirmed to be a match.
This is the first break in the case in 49 years. Now, authorities are asking for the public's help in piecing together the circumstances surrounding her disappearance and death.
Updated: February 13, 2019 05:41 PM
Created: February 13, 2019 05:32 PM
Copyright 2019 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company