March 02, 2019 05:06 PM
(ABC 6 News) - UPDATE: Rochester Public Schools announced Saturday that Gage Elementary School have been given the Certificate of Occupancy and will resume classes on Monday. A statement sent out Saturday morning mentioned that Spanish Immersion at Gage and School Age Childcare (SACC before and after school care) will also resume on Monday.
At noon on Wednesday, students were dismissed due to structural concerns with the roof after the recent heavy snowfall. Gage Elementary School remain closed on Thursday. Rochester Public Schools had a planned no school day on Friday.
Feb. 27, 2019:
School for Gage and Gage Spanish Immersion students has been canceled for Thursday due to ongoing snow removal on the school's roof.
Rochester Public Schools Superintendent Michael Munoz sent a notice to parents Wednesday afternoon updating them on the situation writing:
I want to provide an update regarding the Gage/Spanish Immersion at Gage early dismissal.
This is the information that I have at this time:
• Earlier this morning our custodial staff was walking through the building and noticed a slight bowing of the ceiling tiles in the hallway of the east portion of our building (known as pods A and B).
• He contacted site administration who contacted our Executive Director of Operations and Superintendent.
• We moved the students from pods A and B to the west part of our building and called in a local structural engineer.
• The engineer said that the west side of the building was not concerning to him, but he was concerned about the east side of the building because there were large amounts of snow on the roof causing the ceiling to bow. He stated that blowing snow from the west side of the building roof to the east side of the building roof caused a heavy drift. The engineer also indicated that once the snow was removed from that portion of the building, he felt the classrooms should be safe to return to. However, that was his assessment before clearing the roof. It is not his final assessment.
• As a precaution, we decided to give our students lunch in the lunchroom (deemed safe by the engineer) while we implemented the procedure for parent/guardian pick up.
• We dismissed at noon, and our maintenance team began removing snow from the east portion of the building.
• Unfortunately, there is so much snow on the roof that we are not making rapid progress with removal.
• We are going to cancel the entire day of classes and before/after school SACC for Gage/ Spanish Immersion at Gage for Thursday, February 28, 2019. This will allow the district and the structural engineer time to complete the removal of snow and a full assessment of the building.
• I want to clarify that there was never a partial collapse of the roof, as earlier media reports indicated.
Keeping our students and staff safe is our biggest priority, which is why we made the decision to close early and to close tomorrow, Thursday, February 28. As a reminder, there is a planned no school day for all RPS students on Friday, March 1, 2019.
Lastly, I want to thank our parents/guardians and staff for your support and cooperation. I am proud of the Gage/Spanish Immersion at Gage staff for keeping the safety of the students first as they implemented their school safety plan.
Gage Elementary in Rochester is dismissing students at noon on Wednesday due to structural concerns with the roof after the recent heavy snowfall.
An official with Rochester Public Schools confirmed with ABC 6 News that students were being released early and that they were bringing in a structural engineer to look at the roof. RPS also hopes to clear snow from the roof today.
Here was the message RPS sent out to parents and guardians:
We will be dismissing Gage and Gage Spanish Immersion students early Today, Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 12 NOON. The weight of the snow on a portion of the roof is causing safety concerns. Therefore, we moved students from pods A and B to the gymnasium and lunchroom. We are currently serving our students lunch, and then will be dismissing students at 12 noon.
We will follow the inclement weather plans that parents/guardians provide our school. We apologize for this change of plans today but the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance.
We will have a contingency space for students that have a delayed pick-up by parents. Additionally, SACC this evening at Gage and Gage Spanish Immersion will be canceled.
We will follow up with additional information as soon as we have more details.
Updated: March 02, 2019 05:06 PM
Created: February 27, 2019 11:51 AM
Copyright 2019 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company