The Latest: Minneapolis officials: Violence has been stopped

Photo: Chopper 5. Law enforcement and rioters clash near 31st and Nicollet Saturday night. Photo: Chopper 5. Law enforcement and rioters clash near 31st and Nicollet Saturday night.

Updated: May 30, 2020 11:35 PM
Created: May 30, 2020 08:53 PM

MINNEAPOLIS - Officials in Minneapolis say they’ve succeeded for now in stopping the violent protests that ravaged parts of the city for several days after the death of George Floyd.
Police, state troopers and National Guard members moved in to break up protests after an 8 p.m. curfew took effect, firing tear gas and rubber bullets to clear streets outside a police precinct and elsewhere. The show of force came after three days where police mostly declined to engage with protesters.
It also came after the state poured in more than 4,000 National Guard members and said the number would soon rise to nearly 11,000.
As Minneapolis streets appeared largely quiet, Corrections Commissioner Paul Schnell said the heavy response would remain as long as it takes to “quell this situation.”
Floyd, a handcuffed black man, died after a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck for several minutes.



 Police in Minneapolis are confronting protesters out after curfew on the fifth day of protests over the death of George Floyd.

A group of marchers was moving north toward downtown on a city street when officers fired tear gas Saturday night. The group immediately retreated.

Soon after, officers fired tear gas and moved in to push away throngs of protesters who were milling around the city police’s 5th Precinct. 

The tougher tactics came after city and state leaders were criticized for not more strongly confronting violent and damaging protests.

Minneapolis has been the epicenter of protests since the death Monday of Floyd after a police officer pressed his knee on Floyd's neck for some eight minutes. The protests have spread to cities across the United States.


(KSTP) - Chopper 5 hovers over scenes of civil unrest in Minneapolis; curfew went into effect at 8 p.m.

Helicopter video provided by ABC 6 News' sister station KSTP.

Copyright 2020 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook