Austin home a total loss after Friday evening fire | KAALTV.com

Austin home a total loss after Friday evening fire

Austin home a total loss after Friday evening fire Photo: Photo: KSTP.

KAAL-TV
Updated: December 06, 2021 04:49 PM
Created: December 06, 2021 03:33 PM

(ABC 6 News) - A home in Austin is considered a 'total loss' after a fire Friday evening.

Around 8:30 p.m., an Austin Police officer responded to a 911 hang-up that pinged to 1005 3rd Ave Northeast. 

Upon arrival, officers observed heavy smoke while approaching and flames were seen coming out of the windows of the home. The home was almost fully engulfed.

Officers checked the area and did not locate anyone around. While checking the area, a woman approached the officer and advised she was the daughter-in-law of the owner of the home. 

The daughter-in-law told the officer everyone was out and at her nearby home. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire.The home appears to be a total loss and damage is estimated at $80,000. 

Fire officials said the fire started when an individual lit a piece of paper using the stove top and then light their cigarette.  The paper was then dropped in a trash can which extended and caused fire and smoke damage to both floors of the home.    


Copyright 2021 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company