Fire Chief: House fire started after child lit clothes on fire | KAALTV.com

Fire Chief: House fire started after child lit clothes on fire

KAAL-TV
Updated: June 11, 2021 05:42 PM
Created: June 10, 2021 05:41 PM

(ABC 6 News) - Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy said a house fire Thursday afternoon started after a child lit clothing on fire in one of the bedrooms.

Chief McCoy said at the time of the fire there were five children and one adult inside but all were outside when crews arrived. 

The damage to the home is estimated to be $50,000.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the family.

--

Firefighters in Austin battled a house fire on the northeast side of the city Thursday.

Just after 4:30 p.m., emergency crews were called to the 600 block of 11th Street NE for a report of a house fire. The Austin Fire  Department said there is significant smoke and fire damage to the home. 

The family has been displaced due to the fire and is receiving help from the Red Cross. 

Austin Police Department, Mayo Clinic Ambulance, Austin Utilities, as well as mutual aid from the Brownsdale Fire Department were also on scene.

Additional information will be added to this article as it becomes available. 


Copyright 2021 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company