UPDATE: 66-year-old accused of shooting teen Sunday night
(ABC 6 NEWS) – A man is in custody after a shooting in Rochester Sunday evening.
Rochester Police said they received a call around 5:50 p.m. for a 15-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the leg near 3rd Avenue SE and 6 1/2 St. SE.
Rochester Police arrested 66-year-old Steven Hart of Rochester. He is facing a possible charge of second-degree assault.
RPD says they don’t believe Hart was intoxicated at the time of the incident, and that he is not related to the victim.
When officers arrived on the scene, they saw the victim had been shot. As this was going on, police say Hart went to his home, called the police, and told them he had shot someone.
Police said that they had not received any other calls about the shooting before his call.
Mayo Clinic Ambulance transported the victim to Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus.
Officers made contact with Hart and placed him under arrest. During their investigation, police recovered a firearm.
Many in the neighborhood say they’re shaken up by this.
"We were shocked because we were barbequing and we had about 20 kids over so it was kind of shocking for both us and the children," Toya Reynolds, a Rochester resident said.
Reynolds said she saw the teen right after they were shot, and she said she could tell he was in shock. She said she was about to go over and offer help, but that’s when first responders arrived.
"It’s very tragic to see that someone actually got shot like that. To see him in distress that made me think of my own children, like what’s going on in the world? That could have easily been one of those children sitting out here, you know?" Reynolds said.
Hart has been charged with 1st and 2nd-degree assault. His bond has been set at $150,000. Hart is scheduled to be back in court later this month.