Safe winter driving tips, what to keep in your car
(ABC 6 News) – With snow expected across southeast Minnesota and north Iowa below are some tips for safe winter driving and helpful items to keep in your car in case you get stuck or stranded.
The Rochester Police Department offers the following tips:
- Don’t drive distracted.
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow. Don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
Minnesota Homeland Security and Emergency Management recommends keeping the following items in your vehicle as a winter survival kit:
- Boots, jackets, gloves, warm clothing
- Cell phone charger
- Flashlight and spare batteries
- Bottled water and snacks
- Booster cables
- Basic tools
- Sand or cat litter