February 05, 2018 12:00 PM
(ABC 6 News) - A homeowner allegedly trying to thaw frozen pipes caused a fire over the weekend.
According to the Austin Police Department, officers and firefighters were called to the 1000 block of 2nd Ave. SW around 6:20 Saturday night for a reported fire.
The 63-year-old homeowner told investigators that the water pipes inside the house were frozen so he put hot coals on the ground outside near a water valve, placed sheet metal on top of the coals then covered the sheet metal with two hay bales, which caught on fire.
No word on the extent of the damage and no one was hurt.
Created: February 05, 2018 12:00 PM
Copyright 2018 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company