Dog Rescued from Austin Home Fire

Updated: 08/18/2014 7:15 PM
Created: 08/18/2014 7:11 PM
By: Justin Thompson-Gee

(ABC 6 News) -- The quick thinking of neighbors and firefighters saved a dog from fire in Austin this weekend.

A fire broke out in the kitchen of a home on the 700 block of 14th Avenue SW while the owners were not home. The family dog, Molly, was locked in her crate in the upstairs bedroom.

“Fortunately, our neighbors were able to let the fire department know where the crate was located. Fireman Tom Schulty went in there and was able to get her out of the crate and when they brought her out she was limp,” says homeowner Mike Langan.

Molly was unconscious when she was brought out of the home with light breathing. Firemen used a special oxygen mask used for pets and transported the animal to the vet where she was given a positive diagnosis.

Besides a cough, Molly is taking it easy and slowly recovering.

The fire department estimates $40,0000 of damage was done to the home.

Photo: ABC 6 News