Created: 08/16/2014 11:13 PM KAALtv.com
(ABC 6 News) -- A scary evening in downtown Rochester after an entire hotel and apartment complex had to be evacuated because of a fire.
It happened at the Broadway Residence Inn and Suites.
People living there said they could smell smoke on the fourteenth floor.
When fire crews got there, the alarm and sprinkler systems were already activated.
We're told the fire came from a kitchen in one of the apartments but was put out by sprinklers. No one was in the unit at that time.
Deputy Chief Steven Belau of the Rochester Fire Department can't stress enough the importance of fire sprinklers, "Sprinkler systems are invaluable in buildings of this size. That's what allows buildings of this size to be built and be fire safe these days is the presence an automatic sprinkler systems."
It took an hour or so for crews to clear out all the water. No word on how much the damage will cost, or if the tenant will have to be relocated.
Hotel management is working to notifying them.