abc
QUICK LINKS:

Diocese Defends Record After Lawyer Releases Names

Created: 08/06/2014 7:17 AM KAALtv.com

NEW ULM, Minn. (AP) - The Diocese of New Ulm is defending its record, one day after a plaintiff's attorney released the names of eight priests whom he alleged had been "credibly accused" of molesting minors.

The diocese said Tuesday the eight men were identified in a deposition that was part of a civil lawsuit against it. The diocese says seven of the priests are dead, and the eighth left the priesthood more than 30 years ago.

The Associated Press isn't identifying the men because it wasn't immediately clear whether they'd ever faced criminal charges.

The diocese says it deeply regrets the "long-lasting and devastating effects of sexual misconduct on the part of clergy." It says officials have been working to strengthen its systems and procedures.

The names were released by attorney Jeff Anderson.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

ABC 6 NEWS