abc
QUICK LINKS:

Lightning Strike Sparks Fire at Racine Home

Created: 07/25/2014 6:55 PM KAALtv.com
By: Meghan Reistad

(ABC 6 News) -- An early morning lightning strike caused a very scary situation for one local family. The Fakler’s woke up to smoke detector alarms, after lightning struck their home.

"It was all flaming inside of there. So I took the fire extinguisher and first hit the gas line," said Richard Fakler.

The lightning sent a charge through the house, which burst open a gas pipe in the basement. 

Edward Doherty from Racine’s Community Utility Company was the first person to arrive and turn off the gas. He said it is important to know what to look for if you have corrugated gas lines in your home.

"Make sure it's grounded and make sure it's not touching anything metal like the duct work or the water lines."

The Fakler family is thankful they were prepared for the emergency.

"If Rich wouldn't have gone down there and used the fire extinguisher, the floor would have started on fire," said Courtney Fakler.

"It saved us. If the fire alarm hadn't gone off, I don't know. I just don't know," said Richard Fakler.

The family will stay at a hotel for a few weeks while cleaning crews go through the house and clean up the soot and smoke damage.

Photo: MGN