Created: 06/11/2014 7:23 PM KAALtv.com
By: John Doetkott
(ABC 6 News) -- Trying to watch how much sugar your kids eat? You may want to double check your cereal box.
A recent study identified 12 cereals that are more than 50 percent sugar by weight.
But despite the alarming report, experts said cereal can still be a healthy option as long as you're careful about what you choose.
“When you're looking for cereal, what you want to look for is whole grain,” said Jen Haugen, a registered dietitian at the Hy-Vee in Austin. “You also want it to have a lot of fiber, at least three grams of fiber or more, and then think about what other nutrients are coming with that."
Those cereals with at least 50 percent sugar by weight are listed below:
· Kellogg's Honey Smacks
· Malt-O-Meal Golden Puffs
· Mom's Best Cereals Honey-Ful Wheat
· Malt-O-Meal Berry Colossal Crunch with Marshmallows
· Post Golden Crisp
· Grace Instant Green Banana Porridge
· Blanchard & Blanchard Granola
· Lieber's Cocoa Frosted Flakes
· Lieber's Honey Ringee Os
· Food Lion Sugar Frosted Wheat Puffs
· Krasdale Fruity Circles
· Safeway Kitchens Silly Circles