abc
QUICK LINKS:

New Lawsuit Wants Some GM Cars Off the Road

Created: 04/04/2014 10:48 PM KAALtv.com
By: Jenna Lohse

(ABC 6 News) -- The General Motors recall took another turn today this one could pull millions of vehicles off the road.

All week lawmakers grilled general motors CEO about their handling of a recall for defective ignition switches in some of its small cars.    

On Wednesday, General Motors CEO Mary Barra told lawmakers the vehicles were safe to drive if certain precautions were taken like not having anything on your key ring. But this new lawsuit filed in district court in Texas wants the cars off the road immediately.  Saying they're too unsafe, even to drive in for repairs.

The faulty switches claimed the lives of 13 people, including Natasha Weigel from Albert Lea. But a federal judge says she needs more time to decide whether to issue an injunction forcing General Motors to tell motorists they can't drive their cars unless they've been repaired.

Here in Rochester, we wanted to see how this recall is affecting business. We talked with a dealership whose had first-hand experience dealing with the problem.

“Of course we're interested in safety so we do, are service department is handling those concerns with our customers, we did have quite a few inquiries about the concern,” said Tim McBeain with Clements Chevrolet, Cadillac & Subaru.

They’ve fixed five cars so far. Of course, the protocol is to provide loaner cars to customers while they replace the defective parts. GM says so far they've made more than 15,000 temporary cars available to people afraid to drive their current vehicle.

For a full listing of cars involved in the recall click on this link.