Rochester Teen Hailed a Hero

Created: 02/11/2014 6:48 PM
By: Steph Crock

(ABC 6 News) -- A 13 year-old Rochester teen is being hailed a hero after he put out his neighbors kitchen fire while she was having an asthma attack from the smoke. He's even been nominated by the Rochester Fire Captain for an award.

Noah Carter says he was just playing video games when he heard a knock at the door. "She kept pounding on the door and I said, 'hello' and she said, ‘there's a fire over there,’" said Noah Carter.

His neighbor had friends over and they came looking for help. Noah was quick to react. "I said, ‘Let me go get my shoes on,’ then I got my extinguisher and ran over," he said.

Rochester Fire crews say it was a grease fire in the kitchen that spread to the owners curtains and cupboards. Noah says the owner was still inside looking for one of their dogs "She could still move and stuff. She was just coughing and stuff and her voice was really low, you couldn't really hear it," said Noah.

He says he quickly put out the fire with his extinguisher and says that part didn't scare him. "When I got out I was perfectly fine. I was just coughing a little, but just seeing her not be able to breath and knowing she has smoke in her lungs, and that her inhaler is still in her house in her room…"  said Noah.

We're told by the fire department the home owner had asthma and was struggling to breath from the smoke. “I was probably the one who was freaking out the most. I was like jumping around going 'where's the ambulance' and stuff," he said.

Emergency crews weren't far behind Noah. She was taken by Gold Cross and is said to be ok. The Rochester Fire Department says, in big part, thanks to him. "I really didn’t think about it. I just put it out," said Noah.

When we told him in front of his peers at school that he'd been nominated for an award, he was all smiles. Fire crews say the victim had to stay somewhere else until they cleared the home of smoke. As for Noah's nomination, the Rochester Fire Captain put him in the running for their yearly "good deeds" award.