Woman's Attempt to Warm Dogs Starts Fire, Dogs OK

Created: 01/30/2014 12:45 PM

(ABC 6 News) – A Rochester woman’s outdoor dog Kennel caught on fire in attempts to keep her three dogs warm.

It happened just after 5:00 this morning at the 3300 block of 7th Street NW. The kennel was attached to the outside of the house with a  private fence attached to that. The three dogs inside moved toward the outer edge of the fence away from the flames and were not harmed.

We’re told the owner tried to use heating pads along with 100-watt light bulbs to keep them warm. The bulbs were attached to a plastic igloo, which is how fire crews believe the fire started. Although, she also had several extension cords that could’ve been part of the problem. Rochester fire crews are calling the cause of the fire an“ improper use of appliances.”

The fire was put out by the home owner and a neighbor before crews arrived.

ABC 6 News File Photo