QUICK LINKS:

Damage from Weekend Home Fire Tops $200,000

Created: 12/23/2013 10:39 AM KAALtv.com

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- The Rochester Fire Department says a garage fire over the weekend caused more than $200,000 dollars in damage. 

That fire started just before 8:00 pm Saturday night in the attached garage of a home on Elm Croft Drive S.W. 

According to firefighters, the man was working with portable propane cylinders, when he realized there was a leak.

The propane then came in contact with a heater and burst into flames. The fire quickly spread throughout the garage and to the roof of the home.

Officials are reminding everyone to take propane cylinders and tanks outside of garages, sheds and houses.

It’s also important to inspect your propane tank regularly, "It's just important that you make sure all your connections and fitting are good and tight and there's not any leaks. If you do smell any leaks if you can turn the propane off at the source then you want to do that," said Kirk Weber of the Rochester Fire Department giving a reminder.

Luckily, in this case, the man did make it out of the garage in time. No one was injured.

According to the fire department, damage was severe in the garage and there was some smoke and water damage in the house. 

The homeowners are staying with family members in the area.