QUICK LINKS:

Rochester Man Escapes House Fire

Created: 12/22/2013 6:41 PM KAALtv.com

(ABC 6 News) – Rochester Firefighters responded to a report of a fire in a southwest neighborhood. That fire happened just before 8:00 pm last night.

The fire started in the attached garage of this home and quickly spread out of control.

According to firefighters, the man was working with portable propane cylinders, when he realized there was a leak.

The propane then came in contact with a heater and burst into flames.

Now officials are reminding everyone to take propane cylinders and tanks outside of garages, sheds and houses.

It’s also important to inspect your propane tank regularly, "It's just important that you make sure all your connections and fitting are good and tight and there's not any leaks. If you do smell any leaks if you can turn the propane off at the source then you want to do that.", that’s Kirk Weber of the Rochester Fire Department giving a reminder.

Luckily, in this case, the man did make it out of the garage in time. No one was injured.

According to the fire department, damage was severe in the garage and there was some smoke and water damage in the house.

Rochester man escapes fire caused by propane leak.