Posted at: 10/29/2013 10:31 AM
Rochester: Hy-Vee Employee Saves the Day
(ABC 6 News) - A quick thinking Hy-Vee worker may have prevented a small fire from getting out of hand early Tuesday morning.
The Rochester Fire Department says Doug Brueggeman was stocking shelves around 4:20 Tuesday morning at the Hy-Vee on 37th St. N.W., when he noticed a strong smell of smoke. He followed the smell to one of the store freezers, where he found thick smoke and several boxes on fire.
Brueggeman called 9-1-1 and put the fire out with an extinguisher. The fire department says some of the heat tape, that is used to keep pipes from freezing, may have started some of the insulation on fire.
The only caused a couple hundred dollars in damage, but the overall cost of the fire will be much higher, because much if not all of the food in the freezer, will have to be thrown out.
Hy-Vee says the Health Department will inspect the damage as well.