Posted at: 09/30/2013 11:00 PM
Updated at: 09/30/2013 11:07 PM
By: Steph Crock
Services Proceed as Normal in Wake of Government Shutdown
(ABC 6 News) -- Since last week, our team has been looking into the possible ripple effects a federal government shutdown would have on our area and now that it looks as though this may be the case, we spoke to a few more organizations to see if it hurts them too.
Some industries won't be hit hard by this, at least not in the short term. "Customers should feel comfortable coming out to the airport tomorrow and should not experience any delays as a result of the federal government shutdown," said Executive of the Rochester International Airport, Marty Lenss. He says some parts of the airline industry will be affected, but just about everything involving security will go untouched. "Air traffic control towers, as well as TSA Security Screening, customs, and border protection, and so in our case here, folks that are screening international aircrafts, all of those people will still be here coming to work every day," said Lenss.
Same with federal lunch programs in school, those kids won't go hungry. "In a short term, it really won’t have an effect on us. We only get about 5% of our revenue from the federal government, the other 95% comes from the state and other sources," said Executive Director of Business and Operations at Rochester Public Schools Larry Smith.
However, there are organizations who still don't know what to expect. "We've been trying all day, but as of close of business as 5:00 p.m., we didn't have an answer about which programs may be closed," said Patrick Gannon with Child Care Resource and Referral.
Child Care Resource and Referral helps roughly 900 families in Olmsted County with child care assistance. "If they don't have childcare, then many of those people may not get to work, and there's a ripple effect and it hurts businesses in our community, it hurts the economy, and it hurts those families," said Gannon.
Hurt or not, those we spoke with say any shutdown better get resolved fast. "The art of negotiation and the art of compromise needs to find its way back into the federal government process," said Lenss.